Join New Haven Preservation Trust and MakeHaven for the Houseparts Hospital, a recurring program series helping New Haven residents learn how to restore historic building materials. The first session will feature builder's hardware inclduing door knobs, hinges, latches, mail slots, and lock sets within historic homes. NHPT board member Oliver Gaffney will showcase physical samples made by Sargent, P&F Corbin, Lockwood, and other prominent manufacturers and discuss strategies for bringing them back into good repair using the tools available at MakeHaven.
Attendees of the session will:
- Learn how to identify the age and manufacturer of builder's hardware based on elements of style
- Gain familiarity with major Connecticut hardware firms and their contributions to American decorative arts
- Understand common hardware finishes and tips for identification
- Review common terminology for hardware pieces and parts
- Discover strategies for cleaning, repairing, and polishing hardware
There will be time at the end of the presentation for Q&A. Please feel free to bring any questions (or physical hardware) for discussion!
Due to limited seating availability, pre-registration is required (no walk-ins). In the event that you register and are unable to attend, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible so that we can give your spot to those on our waitlist.
1st Floor Room
This educational room has seating and tables suitable for instruction away from the noise of the main workshop. It is located on the first floor of 770 Chapel Street. Guests should ring the MakeHaven doorbell, then proceed down the long hallway. When you get the main MakeHaven staircase by the double elevators, rather than go downstairs, proceed through the double glass doors, take a right down the hallway and you will see a room with a big robot sticker on the door.