- Less experienced at sewing? See this video or this pattern for multi-layer pleated rectangular masks. Sewing newbie? This video is for a fast pocket mask with nosepiece and includes tips for the novice sewist.
- Some experience? Pocket mask: A wonderful member of our group put together a video of this simple pocket pattern. Thanks for this, Heather!
- Comfortable sewing and prefer a curved Olsen-style mask? We like the Twig & Tale Panel Version. Or, while Yale-New Haven Hospital is no longer in need, we will gladly still accept masks made with the Yale New Haven Hospital Preferred Pattern (modifed from an earlier version of Craft Passion) for use for community partners in need.
- Child's mask: we like the Twig & Tale Curved mask in kid sizes (also great in adult sizes!)
- Transparent window masks are needed for the deaf community and those working with children. We like this video tutorial. The video includes steps to measure, but but we've also created this printable pattern you can use with the video.
Helpful research from Georgia Tech on mask materials, filters, and more.
- Looking for materials or have materials to donate? There are materials boxes at our 4 locations below. Please leave what you can/take what you need. If leaving fabric, please note if it has been pre-washed (this is ideal so it is preshrunk, but if you can't we will wash it!) We are leaving elastic and metal nose bridge pieces here for pickup.
- Have completed masks to drop off? Excellent! If you can, please wash masks, transfer with clean hands into a clean bag for dropoff and label the bag "Washed." Unlabeled masks are accepted and we will wash them, but this will cause a delay. Please note the amount of masks on the bag so we don't have to open bags (reducing contact). We have contact free porch dropboxes located at:
69 E Pearl St. New Haven, CT 06513 (side porch)
53 Wayfarer St. New Haven, CT 06515 (box on step)
HAMDEN (EAST ROCK LINE)
4 Prospect Ct. Hamden, CT 06517 (box by covered woodpile)
HAMDEN (for Black Lives Matter Back to School Drive, through 8/15)
DOWNTOWN: (MakeHaven members only, building lobby, requires access card)
If you cannot get to these locations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your address and number and style of masks and we will try to arrange a pickup.
Mask Use/Care info
Organizations/businesses/individuals in need:
- Please see our updated PPE need page.
- Donate to "buy" masks for an organization in need (and pay a professional to make them quickly!)
Masks for personal use:
- NO SEW MASK FOR HOME/PERSONAL USE ONLY: cut tshirt version and no-sew handkerchief version.
- Local Commercial Producers:
Commercial producers will sew custom masks to order for your personal or business use.
- NEW HAVEN ANNEX: Catherine Mason Costume - email@example.com • Offering: Rectangular pleated masks with ties in adult sizes / Curved "Olson" style masks with ties in child sizes / Scrub caps (teardrop or headband/cap convertible style)
- QUINNIPIAC MEADOWS: Sewing Place New Haven - firstname.lastname@example.org (475) 441-7473 • Offering: rectangule pleated masks with sewn-in nosebridge in adult sizes
- WESTVILLE: Charlotte Anderholt, seamstress, email@example.com • Offering curved "Olson" style mask with option of nose bridge & pocket filter, ties or elastic, adult and child sizes • Transparent window masks (for use for deaf community, care providers, etc.)
- HAMDEN: Regina Bohn, Regina's Originals - (203) 809-9139 • Offering rectangle pleated masks with sewn-in nosebridge in adult sizes (elastic) and kid sizes (ties)
- DOWNTOWN NEW HAVEN: Liz Saylor Costume Shop Manager New Haven Aaronjess@aol.com
- DOWNTOWN NEW HAVEN: Fashionista Vintage & Variety, Offering rectangular pleated masks, for every mask purchased the will donate 2 to an org in need
- WESTVILLE: Neville Wisdom - www.nevillewisdom.com/mask Offering single behind the head elastic or ear loops, curved Neville-designed masks
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org