Hands on learning of the fundamentals of safe and practical use of a Bridgeport Milling Machine.
About this Event
Students who successfully compete this class will earn the Bridgeport Mill badge, allowing ongoing use for members. No previous experience required, however MakeHaven members must complete the online information and quiz to complete badging.
The Learning Objectives are as follows:
- Identify the locations and function of the milling machine's E-stop
- Identify and demonstrate proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Explain and Identify Lock Out-Tag Out procedure and guidelines for the milling machine
- List/adhere to all shop/lab safety rules established by Make Haven
- Identify the location and function of the components on the mill
- Demonstrate safe insertion and removal of cutting tools
- Demonstrate adequate clamping/fixturing procedure of work-piece
- Demonstrate proper start up and speed selection sequence for both belt driven and variable-speed spindles
- Identify and confirm proper spindle rotation for intended cutting tool
- Identify and explain the function of machines preventative maintenance (TPM) requirements
- Demonstrate the accurate and safe squaring of the machine's vise
- Demonstrate and explain the need for accurate edgefinding of a workpiece
- Demonstrate proper care and use of precision measuring tools (dial indicator, micrometer, dial caliper)
- Reference the Machinists Handbook for proper tool selection / cutting speeds and feeds.
This is an in-person, hands-on class. Partipants will be required to wear a mask covering the nose and mouth and keep distanced. Anyone experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or with a recent exposure will be asked to reschedule. Complete guidelines for the space use at this time can be found at makehaven.org/pandemic