Mission: Equip people with tools to design, invent, and create.
Vision: The New Haven area is enriched by creativity and entrepreneurship.
- Community - We practice collaboration and knowledge-sharing as keys to success.
- Inclusion - We recognize that our community is stronger when everyone is involved and represented.
- Optimism - We celebrate one another’s successes and embrace setbacks as part of the process of creation.
- Creativity - We are driven to dream, to invent, and to bring new ideas to reality.
- Discovery - We believe growth and fulfillment happen through exploration.
Description: MakeHaven, Inc. is a not-for-profit, membership-driven organization, gathering place workshop for makers, creators, tinkerers and dreamers. The environment supports the development of and collaboration on a wide variety of projects, including: prototyping, fabrication, mechanics, electronics, crafts, art, and woodworking. Through free public events, skill building workshops and the independent projects of our membership, MakeHaven enables people to make things.
We have an 11,620 square-foot facility containing:
- 6,300 square feet of makerspace/workshops
- 2,850 square feet of private studio workspace space
- 2,000 square feet of storage space
- 470 square feet of instructional/multi-purpose room
- Free public events and meetups which expose people to new and emerging technologies.
- Classes and workshops where people build skills in art and technology.
- Membership which grants 24/7 access to a woodshop, laser cutters, sewing machines, electronics workbenches, CNC mill and 3d printers.
- Scholarships for reduced or free membership to those with limited incomes.
- Training and project mentorship for members through a volunteer coaching program.
- Advice, events and capabilities to assist aspiring entrepreneurs in fabricating and marketing prototypes.
- Partnership with the VA hospital so veterans can include cooperative woodworking projects as a therapeutic activity.
Through talks, classes, workshops, collaborative projects, and other activities, we want to encourage research, knowledge exchange, learning, and mentoring in a safe, clean space. We provide educational spaces for teaching practical skills and theory of technology, science, and art. We provide work space, storage, and other resources for projects related to art, science, and technology that will benefit the individual members' personal growth in their fields of interest, encouraging the individual members to share their projects and knowledge for the betterment of society through art, science and technology. We create, learn, and teach, individually and as a group, inviting members of the community in the greater New Haven area and the world. We develop, support the development of, and provide resources for the development of free and open source software and hardware for the benefit of society. We promote collaboration across disciplines for the benefit of cultural, charitable, and scientific causes.
Our new location in the arts district of downtown New Haven CT, roughly 10,000 square feet, contains: an electronics shop, wood shop, metal shop, media lab, crafting and sewing area, 3d printing area, lasercuters, radio area, plastics and casting area, bike repair shop and kitchen. All members are welcome to use our many resources. Members can find others to create with and/or to find help with their projects. We also encourage members to help others with their projects. MakeHaven encourages all members to come to the facility to learn, teach, share and create.
Programatic Partner Organizations
Partners are nonprofit and governmental organizations that collaborate with MakeHaven to advance our alligned missions and visions through collaboration on programs.
This CT Cultural Fund Operating Support Grant is provided to MakeHaven from CT Humanities (CTH), with funding
Also see Sponsors.