Hands on learning of the fundamentals of safe and practical use of a Metal Lathe.
Students who successfully compete this class will earn the Metal Lathe badge, allowing ongoing use for members. No previous experience required.
The Learning Objectives are as follows:
- Identify the locations and function of the metal lathe's E-stop
- Identify and demonstrate proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Explain and Identify Lock Out-Tag Out procedure and guidelines for the milling machine
- List/adhere to all shop/lab safety rules established by Make Haven
- Identify the location and function of the components on the lathe
- Demonstrate safe insertion and removal of cutting tools
- Demonstrate adequate chucking procedure of work-piece
- Demonstrate proper start up and speed selection sequence for both lathes
- Identify and confirm proper spindle rotation for intended cutting tool
- Identify and explain the function of machines preventative maintenance (TPM) requirements
- Demonstrate the accurate and safe indicating of the machines chuck
- Demonstrate proper care and use of precision measuring tools (dial indicator, micrometer, dial caliper)
- Reference the Machinists Handbook for proper tool selection / cutting speeds and feeds.
- Produce an effective High Speed Steel Turning Tool on the Pedestal Grinder
There will be three chapters of required reading before starting class. Text will be emailed after registration.
Successful students will earn the Metal Lathe badge, but badge is not guaranteed and is based on the instructor's assessment.
Students must attend the entire class to earn the Metal Lathe badge.
This is an in-person, hands-on class. Partipants will be required to wear a mask covering the nose and mouth and keep distanced. Anyone experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or with a recent exposure will be asked to reschedule. Complete guidelines for the space use at this time can be found at makehaven.org/pandemic
Please note: We are in the process of updating how this class is structured and, with that, will be adding 2 new badging videos that will need to be completed before the in-person portion of this class. Once the videos go live, anyone signed up will get an email with the video links. This will result in everyone being able to spend more time hands-on with the machines and take home the results of their work.