I made this plaque to commemorate Steve Buda and the tools bought with donations made in his memory.
- I bought brass sheet from Goody's Hardware in East Haven
- It was a kick plate for a door
- Not brass plated, but solid brass
- I bought CRC Moly Dry Lube from Napa Auto for ~$20
- I cleaned the brass with rubbing alcohol, rubbed it with steel wool for a bit, and then cleaned it again.
- In the fume hood I sprayed the brass with the lube. I gave it 3 coats, with about an hour in between each coat.
- I used the Universal Laser 60W CO2 with air assist, set to 100% Power, 0.9% Speed and 500PPI to etch the design.
- I washed off the excess lube with rubbing alcohol, which left the etched text.
Some considerations for the future:
- I might spray the brass with a clear coat finish, because the letters are very bold when wet, but not so dark when dry.
- It might be possible to spray the brass again and laser it again (assuming I could re-align perfectly) to get the text darker
- Even slower speed might be better, or not using air assist, because that might have been cooling the metal when I wanted it hot.