Hands on learning of the fundamentals of safe and practical use of a Metal Lathe.
About this Event
Students who successfully compete this class will earn the Metal Lathe badge, allowing ongoing use for members. No previous experience required.
The Learning Objectives are as follows:
- Identify the locations and function of the milling machine's E-stop
- Identify and demonstrate proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Explain and Identify Lock Out-Tag Out procedure and guidelines for the metal lathe
- List/adhere to all shop/lab safety rules established by Make Haven
- Identify the location and function of the components on the lathe
- Demonstrate adequate clamping/fixturing procedure of work-piece
- Demonstrate proper start up and speed selection sequence
- Identify and explain the function of machines preventative maintenance (TPM) requirements
- Demonstrate proper care and use of precision measuring tools
- Reference the Machinists Handbook for proper tool selection / cutting speeds and feeds.
There will be three chapters of required reading before starting class. Text will be emailed after registration.
Successful students will earn the Metal Lathe badge, but badge is not guaranteed and is based on the instructor's assessment.
Students must attend the entire class to earn the Metal Lathe badge.
This is an in-person, hands-on class. Partipants will be required to wear a mask covering the nose and mouth and keep distanced. Anyone experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or with a recent exposure will be asked to reschedule. Complete guidelines for the space use at this time can be found at makehaven.org/pandemic
Cancelations will not result in a refund once 72 hours or less from start of class.